I’ve shared one of my favorite dishes from back home, South Africa…BANANA BREAD! Whether you’re in the need for comfort food, a simple and quick dessert (or even breakfast 😋), or just need to carbo-load…
680kj per portion (but who’s counting?)
- 3 large, ripe peeled and mashed bananas
- 250ml (1 cup) sugar
- 120g butter
- 2 eggs
- 500ml (2 cups) flour
- Pinch of salt
- 65ml water
- 5ml (1 teaspoon) bicarbonate of soda
- 7ml (1.5 teaspoons) baking powder
- Cream the sugar and butter together in a separate bowl until light and creamy in texture.
- Stir in the mashed bananas and beat to combine thoroughly.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, blending well.
- Sift the flour and salt into the mixture and stir to blend well.
- Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in the water and stir into the mixture, then stir in the baking powder.
- Pour the batter into a greased loaf or cake tin and bake at 180 degrees/gas mark 4 for 45 min.
- Let it cool down on a wire rack for a few minutes once baked.